[Shaku] Question About Upgrading to a New Shackuhachi

From: Brian Miller (ramasita@peoplepc.com)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 09:17:34 PDT

Greetings Gang,

I've had one of Monty's student cast bore shaks for a couple of years, and
have been thinging of upgrading to a more "prefessional" flute. What are
the benefits of buying a "better" shak? My student shak has a nice tone,
and has been a good companion. Can I expect better tone form a more
expensive shak? Would a more better shak be any easier to blow / hit the
upper register, etc? Of course I'm lusting after a root end flute, but,
other than ascetics, are there other obvious advantages to the root?

OK, here it the killer question - is it possible to buy a nice root end shak
for around $1K, or would it be better for me to wait until I can afford
something a bit higher priced and better quality?

Thanks for your comments,
-brian