RE: [Shaku] Reply to Brian

From: Reg Tanaban (reg418@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 13:23:58 PDT

Thanks, it's a nice post, I enjoyed it, but ...

>>The Shaks don't go down in value, and in fact they go up. Not true with=
=20
>>some
of our other investments (don't go here if inappropriate!) (very good).

... experience generally contradicts this statement. Most new shakuhachi=20
(like most new anything - cars, guitars, computers ...) go immediately do=
wn=20
in price as soon as someone buys it. Maybe it can remain close to the=20
original value, depending on condition, etc., but I've never seen shakuha=
chi=20
actually go UP in price after going through a few owners. Well, except wh=
en=20
certain dealers get in on the action, but that's another story. It's true=
=20
that antique shakuhachi, especially made by well-known makers, can and do=
 go=20
up in price, but that's true of any antique lying on the card-carrying si=
de=20
of the supply-demand equation. And of course, that antique shakuhachi can=
=20
immediately go down in price once it cracks, is modified, etc.

All this seems to apply to the musical instrument market in general ... t=
he=20
shakuhachi does not appear exempt!