RE: [Shaku] It's a shakuhachi, not a shak!

From: M. Gilbert (michelle.gilbert@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 13:17:39 PDT

OK, I'm a total lurker here but I must give my two cents.

I am a trained classical saxophonist. I strongly prefer not to call it the
"sax" because I think it sounds coarse and disrespectful. However, that is
me. If someone else wants to call it sax, hey fine. I can't judge their
intentions behind language usage; I have no idea if they are intending to be
coarse or disrespectful, or if they are just being affectionate, or some
other reason. It is not up to me to judge. It is also not ABOUT me so I
should not judge.

I decided long ago that it is a musical instrument, a vessel, not an animate
object with an ego. Sensei is a human being with ears and should be called
by his/her respectful title; my saxophone doesn't much care, at least as far
as I know. I do it more disrespect by insisting that someone call it by its
full and proper name and being weird if they don't call it the right name,
than I would if I didn't give it my best, physically, mentally, and
emotionally, every time I picked it up to play it, no matter what the
listener decided to call it.

Then again, I met a very well known Zen priest who preferred to be called
Ed. So, I mean, you just never know.

We can never know the intentions of another person. I prefer to concentrate
on my own right action.

Putting on flame retardant suit and going back to lurkville.