[Shaku] urushi problems

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 07:40:53 PDT

I am sure this problem has been discused before but for some reason I was=
=20
not able to find the right text in the archives - so apologies in advance=
=20
for bringing up an old issue.

Urushi.

I bought this wonderful new shaukuahchi. The shakuhachi is both new to m=
e=20
and new to the world in general.

Been having a wonderful time playing it - but sadly I have woken up to fi=
nd=20
my hands all red, puffy and itchy. Yes, the diagnosis of my problem is=20
fairly obvious.

I know how to treat the reaction on my skin: various creams, some=20
homeopathic, some not. Wash my hands after use, and so on.

What I do not know:

Should I just keep on using the flute? Will I eventually develop an=20
immunity? Or will these rashes stay around until the urushi dries out?

How long will it take for the urushi to dry to the point that it will no=20
longer provoke this reaction?

Will oiling the flute, or some other non-damaging treatment, minimize the=
=20
impact of the un-dried urushi?

Does anyone have a new shakuhachi urushi allergy reaction anecdote they=20
would be kind enough to share with me?

In a pharmacy I found something called Technu - some special soap that=20
washes away poison ivy oils. I plan to wash my hands with this each day=20
after practicing. But maybe someone has stumbled upon something more pot=
ent=20
than cortisone cream, homeopathic cream, jewel weed or mugwort.
(and less dramatic than hormone pills or shots.)

The saddest part of the story: there is no way I am not playing this new=
=20
shakuhachi. It seems like I will have to make peace with a constant pois=
on=20
ivy rash on my hands and face for the next six months or so... What a=20
strange passion.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way!