Re: [Shaku] Chidori no Kyoku "play along" CD

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 11:06:26 PDT

I agree that that's a great idea (I've been playing along with the
Abersold jazz rhythm section recordings for quite a while - pretty nice
to have Ron Carter and Kenny Baron accompanying you - even if they're
not paying much attention !). I remember, long ago, hearing that there
were some sankyoku recordings by Yamaguchi Goro for which the tracks
were well separated and one could turn off the shakuhachi track and play
with the shamisen/koto but haven't located a copy (I have the Victor 4
CD sankyoku set by Yamaguchi Goro but have a crappy little CD player at
the moment - perhaps if I had a decent CD player I could separate the
channels but I suspect it was another set that someone was talking about).

In any case, for those of us that have problems locating shamisen/koto
players at similar playing levels to practice with, having some easy to
obtain "Koto minus one" type recordings available would be a godsend.

--
Karl Young
University of California, SF          Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab