Re: [Shaku] Watazumi

From: Alcvin Ramos (ramos@dccnet.com)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 20:35:52 PDT

When I first heard Watazumi-doso on a CD about 10 years ago, I did not
like his sound at all. Perhaps it was very low quality recording of
that album put out by Legacy International: The Art of the Japanese
Bamboo Flute. Actually half that album is not even Watazumi-do playing!
Anyways, as my shakuhachi studies deepened I began to appreciate the
beauty of Watazumi-do's playing and sound more and more. Finding better
recordings of his music also helped. Then hearing all the strange and
funny stories from various people who have met him personally and
reading about him from spurious articles made me contemplate the deeper
meaning of playing shakuhachi (for me). Thinking about him, I feel a
deep sympathy for him, as he went greatly against the grain of Japanese
society, and must have suffered a great deal from societal pressures to
conform. I don't know...

What I do know is that he has had a profound impact on me and my
shakuhachi life. Although now dead, I feel he still teaches.

al