Re: [Shaku] Watazumi

From: Alcvin Ramos (ramos@dccnet.com)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 11:39:40 PDT

Hi Justin,

The first half of the album in not Minyo music at all. The album=20
doesn't have any liner notes but listening to it the instrumentation=20
is: shino bue, Kagura-bue, hiyoushigi, Tsuzumi, shime-taiko, O-daiko,=20
atarigane, wagon, hansho (?) ....the genre of music played on the first=20=

12 tracks sounds like contemporary compositions based on Kagura music,=20=

the music used in Shinto folk ceremonies as well as yoko-bue duets.=20
It's still a mystery to which ensemble is playing this. But it=20
definitely is NOT Watazumi-do, since he only played hocchiku (and other=20=

strange things as seen on the album cover that Ron exhibited) in a solo=20=

context (but I know of instances where he actually played with other=20
musicians).

The only other Watazumi student I've met other than Yokoyama sensei is=20=

a zen priest named Higashi Myogi of the Tengen-ji temple in Tokyo. He's=20=

a really nice man. Barry Weiss is studying with him now.

I believe most of the players in the Kyoto area are Tozan players. I=20
don't know how many people are teaching honkyoku in Kyoto. But=20
Kurahashi Yoshio is based there. And Mitsuhashi Kifu makes occasional=20
trips there to teach. In Osaka, there is Toshimitsu Ishikawa who=20
teaches koten honkyoku. He studied with Katsuya Yokoyama and Tadashi=20
Tajima.

Best,

Al
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Founder and Director
The Shakuhachi Society of British Columbia
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023