[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #658

From: RbtJonas@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 05:05:40 PDT

--part1_12c.494bb006.2e54a014_boundary

Dear Jeff (Cairns) and other shakuhachi friends,

I was at the festival and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing from the women
shakuhachi players, both in their speaking and in their playing. I'm grateful that
Ronnie did such an artful job of blending many different shakuhachi voices,
male and female, East and West, ancient and modern. In the presentations that
focused on womens' experience I never once felt that we were witnessing a
"spectacle", as you suggest, and it never occurred to me (and doesn't even now!)
that the body of any woman (or man) is an "apparatus".

When the voices of some people have been repressed for centuries, whether it
is because of their race, gender, cultural background, political beliefs,
sexual orientation or color, I find it meaningful and enlarging to finally hear
from them. There was plenty of shakuhachi fare at the festival that felt
universal and gender-free, if you will. I never sensed an inordinate emphasis on
gender self-consciousness. Throughout the four days--in lectures, lessons,
concerts, and in one-on-one and small group conversations--people seemed to be
relaxed, enjoying themselves and each other, regardless of gender. So, in
those moments when women shakuhachi players spoke with their distinctive voices,
one felt the wholeness of an experience that honors both our common and our
distinctive perspectives.

Thanks to Ronnie, to all the volunteers and to everyone who taught, lectured,
played and presented at the festival. It was a remarkable, historically
significant and enjoyable event.

Blessings,
Jonas

Robert A. Jonas, Ed.D., Director
The Empty Bell
83 Bancroft Road
Northampton, MA 01060
www.emptybell.org

Until Sept 1, '04: (617) 924-3497
After Sept 7, '04: (413) 527-5487

--part1_12c.494bb006.2e54a014_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Tim=
es" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZE=3D"4">Dear Jeff (Cairns) and other shakuhachi frie=
nds,<BR>
<BR>
I was at the festival and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing from the women shakuh=
achi players, both in their speaking and in their playing.&nbsp; I'm gratef=
ul that Ronnie did such an artful job of blending many different shakuhachi=20=
voices, male and female, East and West, ancient and modern.&nbsp; In the pr=
esentations that focused on womens' experience I never once felt that we wer=
e witnessing a "spectacle", as you suggest, and it never </FONT><FONT COLOR=
=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Times" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZE=3D"4">occurred</FONT><FONT=
 COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Times" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZE=3D"4"> to me (and do=
esn't even now!) that the body of any woman (or man) is an "apparatus".&nbsp=
;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
When the voices of some people have been repressed for centuries, whether it=
 is because of their race, gender, cultural background, political beliefs, s=
exual orientation or color, I find it meaningful and enlarging to finally he=
ar from them.&nbsp; There was plenty of shakuhachi fare at the festival tha=
t felt universal and gender-free, if you will.&nbsp; I never sensed an inor=
dinate emphasis on gender self-consciousness.&nbsp; Throughout the four day=
s--in lectures, lessons, concerts, and in one-on-one and small group convers=
ations--people seemed to be relaxed, enjoying themselves and each other, reg=
ardless of gender.&nbsp; So, in those moments when women shakuhachi players=
 spoke with their distinctive voices, one felt the wholeness of an experienc=
e that honors both our common and our distinctive perspectives.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Thanks to Ronnie, to all the volunteers and to everyone who taught, lectured=
, played and presented at the festival.&nbsp; It was a remarkable, historic=
ally significant and enjoyable event.<BR>
<BR>
Blessings,<BR>
Jonas<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Robert A. Jonas, Ed.D., Director<BR>
The Empty Bell<BR>
83 Bancroft Road<BR>
Northampton, MA 01060<BR>
www.emptybell.org<BR>
<BR>
Until Sept 1, '04: (617) 924-3497<BR>
After Sept 7, '04: (413) 527-5487</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Gene=
va" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" SIZE=3D"2"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Times" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZE=3D"4"></=
FONT></HTML>
--part1_12c.494bb006.2e54a014_boundary--