Re: [Shaku] Intro

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 07:04:33 PDT

At 08:37 AM 8/26/2004, Rachael Prewett wrote:
>Good morning, gentlemen!

... and ladies. You might be surprised to learn that many women play,
teach, and perform and more than a few of the performers are master
musicians. Twelve female master shakuhachi players recently performed at
the International Shakuhachi Festival in New York City:
http://www.bigappleshak.com/bas/festivalhighlights.html

>I`m still looking for a teacher...I`d love some recommendations on some
>good English self-study books, to help my understand my teacher.

Several English-speaking teachers live in Japan, some of them Japanese,
some are non-Japanese. A number of books in English are aimed at the
beginner. I'm partial to Christopher Yohmei Blasdel's "The Shakuhachi: A
Manual for Learning." You'll find books, videotapes, recordings and many
other resources at Monty Levinson's website:
http://shakuhachi.com/

The most important resources are your own two ears. Buy recordings, go to
concerts, listen to radio and TV performances.

Karl