[Shaku] Utaguchi history, etc

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 03:12:01 PDT

Okay, so who knows their history? I`ve been wondering
about the development of all the complicated stuff. If
anyone knows about it, I`d love to hear.
When did utaguchis first appear? And what did they
look like? What material? In which place - Tokyo? Then
how did it develop. Did the styles change and shift? I
know the Tozan shape and the Kinko shape, but how
about before Tozan existed. Were there still the Tozan
shaped utagichi around? Maybe the different shapes
were regional? And so on.

And about ji too. When did the ji-ari flutes first
appear? Then when did they become mainstream? Did it
start out that the earlier ji-ari flutes were just a
few dabs here and there in the bore, or did it just
start full on with the fully ji-covered bores?

While we`re on he subject, if anyone has anything they
want to say about the tuning of the older flutes, that
could be interesting too. Like, has anyone any
experience of being taught using the (so I understand)
previously higher pitch of chi? Or anyone listened to
much stuff played like that? And when did that chi
hole move anyway?

Best wishes all,
Justin.