[Shaku] Hawai'i Shakuhachi Festival clarification

From: Riley Lee (riley@rileylee.net)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 02:41:18 PST

--Apple-Mail-20-838310300
        charset=US-ASCII;
        format=flowed

Hello Fellow Shakuhachi Players.

The "SHAK AND SURF" Hawai'i Shakuhachi Festival, will be held from the
evening of 18 March until the evening of 21 March 2005, at the
University of Hawai'i Music Department. The lucky participants will
enjoy three very full days of shakuhachi workshop/classes, plus one
public concert and one student concert. One or more days/months of
surfing, before or after the Festival, is optional, but highly
recommended.

Five or six teachers/performers from Japan, Australia, and USA will
impart to the lucky participants their collective wisdom and
experience, painstakingly gleaned over a combined 150+ years of
shakuhachi playing. All of this for a registration fee of only US$250!
(Early Bird rate)

Lodging will be approximately US$50 per night per person (twin share)
at the Pagoda Hotel. Food and airfare is not included.

In contrast, the next World Shakuhachi Festival is planned for Sydney
Australia sometime in 2008. We hope that it will feature a substantial
number of concerts, large and small, as well as lectures, master
classes and group lessons, over about five days. We also hope that
considerably more than five or six teacher/performers will attend,
including the Shakuhachi Living National Treasures, Amaterasu willing.

The "Shak and Surf" Festival, and for that matter, the Shakuhachi
Summer Camp of the Rockies, and the other regularly scheduled
shakuhachi camps run by Ronnie Seldin and others in North America, as
well as the Australian Shakuhachi Festivals, all foster one's
shakuhachi art primarily through active participation -with heaps of
guided playing. The World Shakuhachi Festivals, in my opinion, do the
same, but more through passive participation - by listening to and
observing people whose inspired shakuhachi playing is, theoretically,
better than yours.

I hope this clarification helps you conclude that Hawai'i in March is
an excellent idea....

For further information about the Hawai'i Shakuhachi Festival, write
to: patricia@rileylee.net

Mahalo, Riley

Sound of Bamboo
PO Box 939, Manly NSW 1655, Australia