[Shaku] Tenjiku shakuhachi in Japan, India and USA

From: ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 09:54:02 PST

Hi everybody

Hope all is well with y'all out there in the real world.
I have been spinning in and out of Japan and generally overextended with
projects this year, this week a live interview with music for NHK radio and
introducing Indonesia (in Japanese, naturally) in my ethnomusicology
course - quaking to think of the 2000 pages of reports etc to plough through
during the winter 'holidays(!?)'. After ten days in Hawaii (UH/EWC) in
September - had open seminar on applied musico-linguistics for UH
Linguistics Dept, a
few music events on and off campus - back for 8 Kanto-area programs in
during Oct-Nov Indo-Japanese music tour with top sarangi and tabla artists
from
Lucknow/Benares. After 4 years of fulltime professor and parttime lecturer
in two universities separated by 120 kms, next year trimming my university
load in half, off to India for at least a month of performance,
lecture-demo, workshop stuff (and much time with my awesome guru Pandit
Ganesh Prasad Mishra), also planning a month in USA in September. Music this
year, and working at getting some of the stuff I have published in Japanese
and Hindi into English.

(1) Please note (those of you in Japan who understand the language, or just
enjoy the pictures):

Our$B!!(Bwork$B!!(Bin$B!!(BNorth$B!>(BSouth$B!!(BAsia$B!!(Bmusic$B!!(Bexchange$B!!(Bis$B!!(Bfeatured$B!!(Bin$B!!(Bthe
21 November 04 issue$B!!(Bof the$B!!(BJapanese$B!!(Bweekly$B!!(Bmagazine$B!!(BYomiuri$B!!(BWeekly,
pages$B!!(B48$B!>(B50$B!!(B(photos and article$B!K!%(B
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
T. M. Hoffman interview and music on NHK Radio 1 (594 Khz) is scheduled for
Monday, December 6, 10:05 - 10:55 (news at 10:30, total interview time 45
minutes). Topic is 'bridging India and Japan with music.'

=====================================

(2) Have had many e-mail requests, especially since NYC shakufest this past
summer, to do programs in USA, am now working on dates for September-early
October
2005. A few have been scheduled. If there may be interest in a program
(performance, lecture-demo, and/or workshop) where you are (or elsewhere),
please let me know. Basic format is listed in website (see below), though
another exciting option is incorporating koto and singing (classical and
light-classical Hindustani, in Indian languages or Japanese). Will reply to
any response with details.

      ----------------------

 (as many of you may already know) The Asian classical crossover music CD
"INTEGRAL EAST"features the top classical vocalist of Benares, top koto
artist of Japan, two renowned tabla artists of India, and Asian classical
crossover shakuhachi artist, in instrumental collaborations and singing
classical Japanese poetry in Indian vocal music forms. Available from
Indo-Japanese Music Exchange Association at ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp or from
www.shakuhachi.com.$B!!(B
   the artists:
   Pandit Ganesh Prasad Mishra - vocal
   Nosaka Keiko - 25-stringed koto
   T. M. Hoffman - shakuhachi, vocal, koto
   Probir Mittra - tabla
   Girdhar Prasad Mishra - tabla
   Aruga Sakiko - tambura, swarmandal

      -------------
Best wishes to all!

Tim Hoffman

T. M. Hoffman$B!!(B
Tenjiku shakuhachi and Hindustani vocal artist, ethnomusicologist
Indo-Japanese Music Exchange Association
130 Yoshizaki, Shimonita-machi,
Kanra-gun, Gunma-ken 370-2604 JAPAN
tel/fax: 0274-82-3160 mobile: 090-5447-1903
e-mail: ijmusath@po.wind.ne.jp
http://shakuhachi.com/G-IJMEA.html
http://www.indiaedunews.net/MeetAchievers/interviews/holfman.htm