Re: [Shaku] Hello

From: Nicholas Pierotti (eurydice@cruzio.com)
Date: Fri Dec 24 2004 - 09:12:50 PST

--Apple-Mail-2-1047118656
        charset=UTF-8;
        format=flowed

"Just sound"

I like that.

Where do you hail from?

On Dec 24, 2004, at 9:32 AM, John Baker wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I guess this is my introduction to the list.
>
> I have been plowing through the archive, not reading
> everything, but getting a flavor. I want to make a
> few points.
>
> First, music and religion are universal. Wherever you
> look they occur, usually together. Most religious
> ceremonies are sung. The music-spirit link is too
> obvious for comment. If there is secular music, an
> aberrant form, it needs explanation. You can tell
> from the trance state of fans that even rock music has
> a spiritual dimension. Music is holy.
>
> Second, the other day I was on my way to work when a
> cellist got on the bus with his cello. He caressed
> the case and leaned his head against it. I saw his
> face and thought of my feelings for my flutes.
> Fantasy enriches hours of practice. My flute becomes
> the world. My reaction to his =C2=93performance=C2=94 was
> entirely my projection. There is no way to determine
> his intention.
>
> Third, Zen is a form of Mahayana Buddhism. Japanese
> culture is not. (Perhaps you want to argue that US or
> European culture is a form of Christianity.) There is
> an intellectual content to both Buddhism and Mahayana
> and unless you deal with that you will not make much
> sense. It=C2=92s not about feelings, though feelings are
> there. I do not think it is useful to conflate
> Japanese hierarchical culture and Buddhist
> egalitarianism.
>
> Fourth, samsara is nirvana. There is no other
> material from which to make nirvana. The problem is
> bad thinking. There=C2=92s a great quote which I can only
> paraphrase, =C2=93Rational thought is the great ignorance.=C2=94
> All this rational talk only leads =C2=96 well, you know
> where it leads. Everyone is already enlightened, we
> just do not know it. (Don=C2=92t mistake my meaning. I am
> using reason now and I want reason to run the world.
> But it doesn=C2=92t take me beyond itself. It=C2=92s like this
> talk of spending ten years in traditional training so
> you can be free. Show me that freedom. It doesn=C2=92t
> look free to me. I guess I=C2=92m not a very traditional
> guy.)
>
> Last, I=C2=92m early into my affair with Japanese flutes.
> I like modern flutes by American makers. I came from
> the transverse flute to the end-blown late, and it is
> great to start something new. Here is something I
> wrote at the beginning. It does not reflect my
> thought today. A poem is a kind of fiction.

> [...]
  What is morally wrong can never be advantageous, even when it enables=20=

you to make some gain that you believe to be to your advantage.

  =E2=80=93 Marcus Tullius Cicero

--Apple-Mail-2-1047118656
        charset=UTF-8

"Just sound"

I like that.

Where do you hail from?

On Dec 24, 2004, at 9:32 AM, John Baker wrote:

<excerpt>Hi.

I guess this is my introduction to the list.

I have been plowing through the archive, not reading

everything, but getting a flavor. I want to make a

few points.

First, music and religion are universal. Wherever you

look they occur, usually together. Most religious

ceremonies are sung. The music-spirit link is too

obvious for comment. If there is secular music, an

aberrant form, it needs explanation. You can tell

from the trance state of fans that even rock music has

a spiritual dimension. Music is holy.

Second, the other day I was on my way to work when a

cellist got on the bus with his cello. He caressed

the case and leaned his head against it. I saw his

face and thought of my feelings for my flutes.=20

[...]

using reason now and I want reason to run the world.=20

But it doesn=C2=92t take me beyond itself. It=C2=92s like this

talk of spending ten years in traditional training so

you can be free. Show me that freedom. It doesn=C2=92t

look free to me. I guess I=C2=92m not a very traditional

guy.)

Last, I=C2=92m early into my affair with Japanese flutes.=20

=
What is morally wrong can never be advantageous, even when it enables
you to make some gain that you believe to be to your advantage.

 =E2=80=93 Marcus Tullius Cicero</x-tad-bigger></bigger></fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-2-1047118656--