Re: [Shaku] Help in Understanding shakuhachi

From: Phil James (nyokai@nyokai.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 06:44:32 PST

Welcome Alex --

I'm sure people take up shakuhachi for many different reasons -- want to
add some discipline to daily life, "always wanted to play an
instrument," already play an instrument but want to branch out into
something different, etc. etc. I have heard MANY shakuhachi players say,
however, that they heard the sound once and immediately fell in love
with it. That seems to be a common thread.

Best way to start is to find a teacher. Where do you live?