Re: [Shaku] Help in Understanding shakuhachi

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 21:17:25 PST

Hi Alex
I know very little, but I have a small suggestion in
case it is useful for you. First, you really aught to
get a shakuhachi. Bamboo is expensive. They sell
plastic ones, or maybe better to get a wooden one.
They are cheaper, and also may last longer with
Singaporean airconditioning! So you can blow by
yourself.
 If you like it, you really must get a teacher. If you
want stuff to do in the meantime, then I might suggest
closing all the finger holes, and blowing that bottom
note - we call it "ro". It may take time - hours even
- just to produce a note. As you get used to it, then
maybe just practise that note. You could do for
example half an hour every day. Just relax, and get
into it. You can experiment with trying to create all
different kinds of sounds. I mean, different tones or
colours, of the same note. But I would suggest, if you
get into that, spend maybe 5 or 10 minutes on each
colour-tone which you discover. Don't just skip from
one to another. You need more time to explore each,
going deeper and extending your relationship with it.
 That might be enough even for several years -
serously.
 It seems you are Buddhist. Well, I mean it's your
thing of course, but just a suggestion - if you wanted
you could always start by generating the wish of
Bodhichitta before you start your practise. Then
practise nice and clearly. You know, just practise.
Nothing else. Then when you are done, dedicate the
merit. You know what I mean? I mean, that could be
nice. Maybe deepen the practice. Make it good for you.
 Just an idea.
 Best wishes
 Justin.