Re: [Shaku] Help in Understanding shakuhachi

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 10:35:38 PST

--- stan <b@didgethings.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi John
>
> Isn't one of the fundamentals of Zen practice not to
> have a goal?

Hi.

Not to get argumentative but just to make a point, let
me ask whether anyone anywhere has ever played the
shakuhachi accidentally? Or just accidentally sat
down to meditate? I was walking along and one day I
could play the shakuhachi. I was walking along and
one day I just sat and practiced Zen.

It may happen, but I do not know of it. Playing flute
and meditating are intentional activities and
intention implies a goal.

Regards,

John Baker