RE: [Shaku] Everything you wanted to know about re-meri

From: Dan Gutwein (dangutwein@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 15:00:04 PST

Thanks Karl,

I totally agree - Music that is performed in concert for a contemplative
audience is at being treated within that social construct as art music,
and we (as players and listeners) should acknowledge that. Now if one
defines art music as music that possesses a level of complexity and
multidimensionality such that one can spend years of one's life
developing a rich mental and spiritual relationship to even an
individual piece, then certainly sankyoku and honkyoku meet that
criteria. So I guess that means that this music that we love so much is
both art music and traditional music . . . just like Beethoven, Bach,
Josquin and all the others.

Dan