Re: [Shaku] Help in Understanding shakuhachi

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 20:56:32 PST

> > it is
> > not
> > natural to be enligtened
>

> Hi.
>
> Then what is Buddha Nature all about?

Yes, yes. I've heard that ultimately, we are all
totally pure after all. Just it seems that it is
somehow "natural", noit on the ultimate level but on a
more ordinary level, for that pure Budhanature to be
obscured. So even though our ultimate nature remains
forever unsullied, we have all these habits and
obscurations which we've built up over literaly
countless lives, which have great momentum. So it
realy takes a great deal of effort to work against
that momentum, uncovering that pure nature. Look at
Buddha Shakyamuni for example. He didn't just one day
suddenly become enlightened. He left his palace, and
strove for years in the forests, studying under
various teachers with great diligence. He really
perfected his powers of concentration, and then
finally, he came to the point where he surpassed all
of his teachers, and understood the way that works.
Then he generated the most fantastic determination,
and sat under a tree vowing not to move until he was
enlightened! A tremendous effort. And he did it.

> Fuke (the root of Zen shakuhachi) was a sect of
> Rinzai
> Zen.

So it seems. But was this political? They wanted to be
recognised officially as a sect, and they managed,
somehow, to get a name under the Zen sect. So they got
their place. But are they Zen? Ask the Zen schools (in
Japan) - they may well tell you Fuke is NOT Zen. That
was kind of Kurahashi-san's point I think.
 Anyway, I kind of like that. Eternal outsiders. Suits
me!
 Justin.