Re: [Shaku] Everything you wanted to know about re-meri

From: Bruce Hunter (bhunter3@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 04:02:26 PST

---- Original Message -----=20
From: "Timothy Larkin" <tsl1@cornell.edu>
> ...And certainly the traditional notation doesn't support 72 notes per =
octave, which suggests that the=20
> composers and teachers of shakuhachi music did not feel a need for a =
notation which would discriminate > more than about a dozen notes per =
octave.

You're right of course.

People trained in European classical music know that a given notated =
pitch has at minimum, 4 pitches associated with it. A note serving as =
tonic would sound at dead center on a meter, whereas if the same note =
was functioning as a minor third, a major third, or leading tone, the =
pitch would be adjusted accordingly. That would come to 48 notes per =
octave. Certainly the traditional notation doesn't support 48 notes per =
octave, which suggests that composers and teachers of European classical =
music did not feel a need for a notation which would discriminate more =
than about a dozen notes per octave. 8^)

Yet, what we do, I hope, in both musical traditions, is play the correct =
pitch at the correct time, in order that the Music be allowed to happen, =
rather than merely translating ink smeared across dead trees into sound. =
These are my humble opinions and observations and are not intended to =
create a right/wrong, good/bad, etc., environment. After all, I'm just a =
person blowing air at a piece of bamboo, which sometimes has the result =
of not unpleasant sounds being produced.

Respectfully,
Bruce Hunter