[Shaku] Offering some new shakuhachi pieces

From: charlesturner9 (charlesturner9@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 18:36:00 PST

Hello to all of you on the shakuhachi list. I have been enjoying your
emails for some time now.

I'm a relatively new player (1+ years) from the Boston area. I've had
lessons with Robert Jonas, Yoshio Kurahashi sensei, James Nyoraku Schlefer
and Phil Nyokai James - I'm very grateful to these wonderful teachers.

I am trained as a classical singer, and I perform in a number of Boston
vocal ensembles and do occasional solo work (bass-baritone). But I consider
myself primarily to be a composer.

Because I am obsessed with this difficult instrument, and being a compulsive
composer, I sometimes get ideas...

So, I have composed some new shakuhachi pieces, all in Western notation so
far. I would like to offer them to the shakuhachi community at large.

Because I am a new player, these pieces are not too difficult, so I think
they might fill a niche for those of you who would like to use them for
teaching. They do not use any fancy 20th-century tricks. They are Western
art music for shakuhachi, as simple, poetic and expressive as I could make
them. They do not resemble folk songs or honkyoku very much. All are
written for 1.8 shak, but I play them on other sizes, too - use your
judgement as you would for honkyoku.

I am asking for no payment of any kind for the use of this music by
shakuhachi players. (If someone wants to make a car commercial using my
music, that's a different matter.) I just want to help you all to add
beauty to the world.

Please use them as you wish. I undoubtedly will add more as time goes by,
so if you like them, check back once in a while. I am working on a new
shakuhachi piece in honkyoku-style notation, and when I'm happy with it I'll
post it, too.

You will find the scores in PDF format on my Web site at
http://www.hand2ear.org/hand2ear_00000c.html.

There are more scores for Western ensembles and biographical info about me
at http://www.hand2ear.org.

If you have any questions, please contact me at charlesturner9@yahoo.com.

Happy blowing!

Charles Turner