RE: [Shaku] (shakuhachi) song collections

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 07:25:00 PST

The folk songs and cd come as part of the instructional book.

Also Yoshinobou (sp?) Tamiguchi's book "How to Play the Shakuhachi" also has
a dozen or so short folk songs and an accompanying CD.

I personally would love to get my hands on a book that was dedicated to
minyo songs and that had an accompanying CD - so if anyone else has a good
suggestion please share.

And now I will toss out a comment in hope of sparking a conversatrion
primarily consisting of you all telling me how wrong I am:

I think playing minyo is much more challenging than playing honkyoku. If
your pitch or timing is off with a folk song, right away you sound like a
poor musician; that is someone with poor pitch and timing. Honkyoku is a
much more forgiving form of music.

Feel free to disabuse me of this notion.