RE: [Shaku] (shakuhachi) song collections

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 15:36:37 PST

If you can read Tozan Music, Mejiro has a minyo cd by Sozan Sasaki that comes with18 songs and the sheet music. You will have to enlarge the music since it is the cd insert. The music is very clear when enlarged. At First I didn't know the music was there till I took the insert out.

I think the pieces you play really depends on your audience. Within the shakuhachi community honkyoku would be tolerated but at a public festival in a park Minyo would be easier on the crowd.

Pitch and tempo are always a problem especially playing sankyoku. I think Minyo may be more forgiving. When I play minyo I pick pieces that don't require alot of meri's or kari's this allows me to narrow the possibility of pitches. I have also found that just like tozan and kinko the same minyo piece may come in slightly different versions. How many variations of Sakura can you have? apparently hundreds.

Best wishes
Dominic