[Shaku] Re: [Shaku]

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2005 - 08:23:17 PST

Indeed ! Coltrane was famous for that - and just to beat this thread
into the ground, Bill's observation re. the Minyo teacher requiring his
student to learn to sing the piece before he would teach him to play it,
this is not an uncommon practice. Many jazz teachers encourage this and
some of the tougher ones indeed require it. My favorite related story is
one about Dexter Gordon; as the story goes he was a bit tipsy and while
playing a balad his horn slipped out of his mouth; rather than replace
it he finished the chorus by singing the lyrics . So there; if you want
to play like Dexter Gordon learn the lyrics !

--
Karl Young
University of California, SF          Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab