Re: [Shaku] Re: pitch

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 22:36:26 PST

Karl, Phil and everyone
It is interesting about the different pitches and
different scales. And so, what are western orchestras
generally tuned to? The even tempered scale? Or just?
Or what? And shakuhachi too, what are they tuned to? I
know some peole take great care to tune the holes of
the shakuhachi. The shading and meris are up to the
player of course, but how about the holes themselves?
I know some people tune to the even tempered scale,
but is it the same for all the top Japanese makers?
And what about the traditional Japanese music - how
about Koto. What do they tune to? Are there microtonal
differences between the different (Japanese)
traditional genres even?
 Best wishes
 Justin.