Re: [Shaku] Re: pitch

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 10:25:30 PST

Hi Justin,

I'll mainly defer to the experts other than commenting that to first
order western orchestras have to use some reasonable facsimile of equal
tempered tuning (i.e. to play with instruments like piano and make the
modulations required of most orchestral scores there's not much choice).
But I've heard from string players with perfect pitch that it's ever so
slightly painful to play with piano as they can discern the compromises
inherent in equal temperament. It'd be interesting to hear what e.g.
string quartets do re. tuning. I'd assume that usually they can't stray
to far from equal temperament re. the issue of modulation but maybe they
come up with some sort of alternative.

--
Karl Young
University of California, SF          Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab