[Shaku] Warning to traveling Shakuhachists

From: Brian Ritchie (brianritchie@mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 06:05:53 PST

Dear Fellow Travelers,

  In their (over) zealous quest to make America safe for, hmmmm, I don't
know....?, the knuckleheads at TSA did not allow me to carry on my nobe
shakuhachi. I had to buy a box from the airline and check them in. In
the process I almost missed my flight. I generally like to carry them
with me to make sure they don't get lost. They are too valuable.

The interaction started with "These be didgeridoo?" and ended with,
"Because I said so." You can guess the rest.

My advice is travel with shakuhachi that come apart, or put them in
your checked luggage. Or, I intend to get a hard travel case which can
be safely checked in the event this happens again.

Usually it's not this way, in fact another TSA dude asked me, "Hey, do
you know John Neptune?" But take note that it can occur.

Yours,

Tairaku