Re: [Shaku] jinashi - hocciku - and urushi reaction

From: Bill Fletcher (bill@scienceandart.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 11:06:54 PST

Before applying walnut oil - - what I must do with all urushi coated
shakuhachi I've bought, even the most benign brands of urushi, is to
clean the outside of the flute and the entire inside with alcohol one
time very well (for the inside, I wet a cleaning cloth with alcohol
don't forget to clean the cloth well with hot water and soap
afterwards). Then once it's dried well, apply the walnut oil. After
that I clean the utaguchi end inside and out each day before playing
for a week or so. After that I have been able to play without
reactions. BTW, this has never had a negative affect on the bamboo.

I theorize that the irritating component of the urushi leaches up to
the surface over time but can be removed. Also, maker's, by handling
the flute, spread small amounts of visually undetectable urushi on the
outside that stays there until removed. I have also noticed different
levels of reaction to different maker's urushi so this may not work for
all urushi and all levels of reaction.

Good luck . . . Bill