Re: [Shaku] Ronin samurai & priests/monks

From: edBeaty (edosan@boulder.net)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 21:49:09 PST

>Bill,
>
>Another excellent source on the history of the Komuso and the Fuke
>sect is:
>
>"Shakuhachi Zen: The Fukeshu and Komuso"
> James H. Sanford
> in *Monumenta Nipponica: Studies in Japanese Culture*,
> Volume XXXII, Number 4, Winter 1977, pp.411-440
>

>Sanford was, at the time, Assistant Professor of Religion at UNC
>Chapel Hill, and the scholarship of the article is impressive.
>
>Anyone interested in the history of the shakuhachi will find this
>worth the trouble of digging up.

So true, but, alas, the text is not, to my knowledge, available online.

I have a hard copy of the article, but not now in my possession (I'm
in transit, perhaps for a while), but I do have a lengthy and
interesting excerpt that I typed up and will email to any interested
parties:

edosan-at-boulder-dot-net

When I get my hands on the original again, perhaps I can scan it and
distribute the entire monograph.

Regards,
eB