Re: [Shaku] Fwd: Understanding shakuhachi

From: JASON CASTNER (jchanwagenki@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 07:47:47 PST

I really love the shaku just like everyone else here.
recenlty i started making my own zen flutes. they
probabaly are junky to some but myself and friends
think they sound awesome. and they are simple to
make. If anyone has access to bamboo. heres what i
do. have a bonefire or use your fireplace inside. i
have different sized metal rods thanks to my brother
the welder. I cut the bamboo from my back yard
already dried in the ground. heat up the rods until
red hot. burn the bamboo inside bore starting with a
larger rod and then working your way down the flute
finishing with a smaller rod. that makes the tappered
bore. next saw the angle for the mouth peice and use
small curved files to shape the mouth peice curve.
but if you cut the mouthpeice angle right the curve is
already there! then use whatever sized rods to make
finger holes where you want. no science to it real
easy. and the best part - ive made 15 flutes and they
all play 2 octaves real clear and easy. flutes
vibrate in my hands. and people say make me one too.
however having a flute and putting in the time to
learn to play it are 2 different things. its real fun
and i actually prefer to play flutes i made than any
of the ones of bought. i never sell them only give
them away!!! i hope other people have a chance to
have fun like this. sorry if this email bored
anyone...
jason in ithaca, ny