Re: [Shaku] Hello

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 11:36:22 PST

--- JASON CASTNER <jchanwagenki@yahoo.com> wrote:

> IF YOUR THE IDIOT THAT PLAYS SCALES THEN IM THE
> IDIOT
> THAT PLAYS SONGS... HA HA.

Hi.

Gertrude Stein said of writing that you could always
start over again at the beginning.

My lama said that the really advanced practice was the
preliminary practice.

Jascha Heifitz would ask young violinists who wanted
to play for him to play a scale. If they couldn't
play a proper scale he would ask them to come back
when they had mastered that.

One of the websites for shakuhachi tips recommends
playing ro (the lowest note on the flute) for 10
minutes each day. Every day. He quotes someone who
says if you do this you will become a master.

Playing silver flute I have been faithful to long
tones for a long time & have made great progress that
way. When one of my books gives a tone exercise and
then says "after several months ..." I do not think it
means after a few minutes.

I work on the simplest things because I think it is
important to get them right.

Regards,

John Baker