Re: [Shaku] To scale or not to scale?

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 14:47:26 PST

--- Timothy Larkin <tsl1@cornell.edu> wrote:

> It's not quite correct that the source of innovation
> is human
> ingenuity. Of course, there is no innovation
> without ingenuity. But
> it is also true that there is no innovation without
> a tradition and
> knowledge of that tradition.

Hi.

"Thank you for saying the same old thing. It is quite
refreshing."

These sentences are in the tradition of English
Language. They are also in the tradition of comedy.
Do you see the joke or the insult? Or both. Do I
intend to hurt or to amuse? Or both?

If this passage is so ambiguous despite the
dictionaries and grammars we could reference, what are
we to say about music where the expression is much
more vague? Music has no agreed upon content except
sound.

Tradition is convention. Innovation is new. Someone
has to start a new tradition. Honkyoku was once new
and controversial.

Chaucer never wrote a sonnet. It had not yet been
invented.

Regards,

John Baker