Re: [Shaku] To scale or not to scale?

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 12:38:29 PST

>>I do not even admire very much of Japanese culture

>as you explore the intricacies the subtleties of the Shakuhachi,
>you may come to know the intricacies and subtleties [of] "Japanese
>culture"

Which is not to say that those intricacies or subtleties are
*necessarily* admirable.

Just like the intricacies or subtleties of US culture, there are
positive and negative effects to most aspects of any culture.

Now, as the list manager, I've held back a bit on this discussion,
even tho there were times that I thought it was showing signs of
the "Science vs. Art" discussion of a year or more ago, that drove
many people off the list. I'm not going to step in now, except to
ask that people observe the following:

        Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be
        explained by anything else.

That said, when reading the thought-provoking messages to the list,
I am often amazed at the breadth of knowledge and articulate
presentations of you folks.

I learn a lot here.

bj

-