Re: [Shaku] To scale or not to scale?

From: Nicholas Pierotti (eurydice@cruzio.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 13:19:00 PST

> Hierarchical. Rigid. Closed. Conservative.
> Xenophobic. Consumerist. These are words I associate
> with Japanese culture.

Those are also words that perfectly describe our current US culture.
As the "US human" you proclaim yourself to be, has it been your
decision to transcend this culture as well?

I think you have made a great point if you are saying that music
transcends all cultures, and we should be bound to our own expression
and that of the instrument, and see where that takes us. Many of us,
however, can find perfect freedom of expression within the structure of
the Honkyoku, where, within even one note, we can find the freedom to
express everything.

So just exploring one note, in one time, which is what we are all doing
when we blow that bamboo, is right where we ought to be.

Playing.