[Shaku] For me, it's honkyoku

From: charlesturner9 (charlesturner9@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 20:08:00 PST

>For me
>personally playing shakuhachi is not an admission of love for Japanese
>culture in particular, but for unique and traditional cultures of all sorts
>that no longer have a clear role in a world so focused on markets and
>profits.

I very much agree with Stav's statement above.

I'd like to add that it is the unique qualities of honkyoku that drew me to
this instrument.

Honkyoku is quiet but powerful, often serene but also deeply emotive.
It is the lonely voice which evokes the great spaces of the mind.

I don't just want to play honkyoku, I want to become honkyoku.

There is so much noisy, ugly music in the world, constantly vying for our
attention.
The arts used to 'aspire to the condition of music' - now it seems that
music often
aspires to the condition of advertising. I notice this not only in popular
music,
but also in contemporary art music. It has to be big! and important! and
loud!

I tire of all that. Honkyoku makes all of that noise seem foolish.

Let me start by blowing RO. It's good. The great spaces gather around me.
Tsu-re. Ou. It's very good indeed.

Charles Turner