Re: [Shaku] To scale or not to scale?

From: JASON CASTNER (jchanwagenki@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 09:43:14 PST

I have a question....

I own a flute that I bought in Japan from a store that
sells only used shakuhachi - small store but lots of
shakuhachi from 300 dollars to 10,000 dollars.

anyways the shak that I bought is a 1.8 with a myoan
(did i spell that right) mouth piece. this flute is
real skinny and has small diameter bore. It also has
small finger holes. the flute comes apart and the
male piece that slides into the female piece has a
hole in it to correspond with the first finger hole.
otherwise when you slide the flute together it would
close the first finger hole. is this unusual for a
flute to be designed like this. I thought it was
weird but then again I only own 5 flutes.

jason