Re: [Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #771

From: Ron Hamady (rhamfilm@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 15:34:47 PST

--0-756656966-1108078487=:60076

Thanks. Ron Hamady

RbtJonas@aol.com wrote:While I understand that some members of our online=
 community want to move on and away from the recent hot discussion about =
Japanese culture, I think it's important to note occasionally, what our c=
ommunal rules are. Many of us remember a few times in the past when cont=
ributors were clearly being abusive to other members of this shakuhachi "=
cyberhouse". If I remember correctly, Bruce did step in to ask members t=
o be respectful or to leave. I'm one of those who appreciate civility an=
d respect on this website. Strong opinions are fine, but I most like to =
hear from people who can empathize and understand other points of view, a=
s well. I like to think of this shakuhachi newslist as a learning commun=
ity, not a place for grandstanding or smashmouth, in-your-face, Fox-news =
style, pseudo-conversation. =20

So, I thank Bruce for reminding us today that we should "Never attribute =
to malice that which can adequately be explained by anything else." I wo=
uld only add, as we know, that some people ARE motivated by malice, and t=
hat we should be ready to deal with it, as we have in the past.

And I thank Bruce for sending out the "cyberhouse" rules about a year ago=
 (Feb. 4, 2004). Here is an excerpt:

Now a couple of communal items:

1. When I was growing up we had a rule around our house that was
probably heard in your house as well. The rule stated: "If you
can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything." This
is sound advice for participation on any mailing list and is, as
I understand it, standard Buddhist practice. Practice it, please.

2. This list is about information and community. Ask and answer
questions, make suggestions and announcements, offer [bad] haiku
and [lame] spiritual insights, and participate in the myriad other
ways that have made this list a useful and enjoyable place to come.

3. Most importantly, be respectful. Act as if you live next door
to the people on the list and had to interact with them, face to
face, and on a daily basis. One of the truly disasterous aspects
of the net is that it allows us to avoid (and often encourages
disregarding) the fact that there is another person on the other end
of our transactions. That other person is quite likely to have
different ideas, beliefs, needs and desires, or goals. Make it
our shared responsibility to recognize those differences as the
aspects of what makes our community interesting.

Peace (is a discipline),
Jonas

        =09
 Meet the all-new My Yahoo! =96 Try it today!=20
--0-756656966-1108078487=:60076

<DIV>Thanks. Ron Hamady<BR><BR><B><I>RbtJonas@aol.com</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dreplbq style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT face=3D=
Times color=3D#000000 size=3D4 FAMILY=3D"SERIF">While I understand that s=
ome members of our online community want to move on and away from the rec=
ent hot discussion about Japanese culture, I think it's important to note=
 occasionally, what our communal rules are.&nbsp; Many of us remember a f=
ew times in the past when contributors were clearly being abusive to othe=
r members of this shakuhachi "cyberhouse".&nbsp; If I remember correctly,=
 Bruce did step in to ask members to be respectful or to leave.&nbsp; I'm=
 one of those who appreciate civility and respect on this website.&nbsp; =
Strong opinions are fine, but I most like to hear from people who can emp=
athize and understand other points of view, as well.&nbsp; I like to thin=
k of this shakuhachi newslist as a learning community, not a place for gr=
andstanding or smashmouth, in-your-face, Fox-news style,
 pseudo-conversation.&nbsp; <BR><BR>So, I thank Bruce for reminding us to=
day that we should "</FONT><FONT face=3DTimes color=3D#000000 size=3D4 FA=
MILY=3D"SERIF">Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be exp=
lained by anything else."&nbsp; I would only add, as we know, that some p=
eople ARE motivated by malice, and that we should be ready to deal with i=
t, as we have in the past.</FONT><FONT face=3DTimes color=3D#000000 size=3D=
4 FAMILY=3D"SERIF"><BR><BR>And I thank Bruce for sending out the "cyberho=
use" rules about a year ago (Feb. 4, 2004).&nbsp; Here is an excerpt:<BR>=
<BR></FONT><FONT face=3DTimes color=3D#000000 size=3D4 FAMILY=3D"SERIF">N=
ow a couple of communal items:<BR><BR>1.&nbsp; When I was growing up we h=
ad a rule around our house that was<BR>probably heard in your house as we=
ll.&nbsp; The rule stated:&nbsp; "If you<BR>can't say something nice abou=
t someone, don't say anything."&nbsp; This<BR>is sound advice for partici=
pation on any mailing list and is, as<BR>I understand it, standard
 Buddhist practice.&nbsp; Practice it, please.<BR><BR>2. This list is abo=
ut information and community.&nbsp; Ask and answer<BR>questions, make sug=
gestions and announcements, offer [bad] haiku<BR>and [lame] spiritual ins=
ights, and participate in the myriad other<BR>ways that have made this li=
st a useful and enjoyable place to come.<BR><BR>3. Most importantly, be r=
espectful.&nbsp; Act as if you live next door<BR>to the people on the lis=
t and had to interact with them, face to<BR>face, and on a daily basis.&n=
bsp; One of the truly disasterous aspects<BR>of the net is that it allows=
 us to avoid (and often encourages<BR>disregarding) the fact that there i=
s another person on the other end<BR>of our transactions.&nbsp; That othe=
r person is quite likely to have<BR>different ideas, beliefs, needs and d=
esires, or goals.&nbsp;&nbsp; Make it<BR>our shared responsibility to rec=
ognize those differences as the<BR>aspects of what makes our community in=
teresting.<BR><BR>Peace (is a
 discipline),<BR>Jonas<BR></FONT><FONT face=3DTimes color=3D#000000 size=3D=
4 FAMILY=3D"SERIF"></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT><p>
                <hr size=3D1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>=20
Meet the <a href=3D"http://my.yahoo.com">all-new My Yahoo!</a> =96 Try it=
 today!=20
--0-756656966-1108078487=:60076--