Re: [Shaku] John Niemi Flutes

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 07:33:51 PST

--B_3191650431_3582427

On 2/19/05 12:51 AM, "heirphoto@comcast.net" <heirphoto@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone here have a shakuhachi made by John Niemi in Japan they would=
 be
> interested in selling? He made very natural looking shakuhachi, or as he
> called them, "simple flutes". I owned 2 many years ago and did enjoy them=
. It
> ws his CD that got me started playing and making flutes myself. I know th=
ey
> were not everyone's cup of tea but I would love to find one again. Maybe =
a 1.7
> to 2.0 or similar?
> Please contact me off list if you have one to sell, heirphoto@comcast.net
> Thanks,
> Tony Miller
> Haunting Winds Shakuhachi
> =20
>=20

Hi Tony,

The reason they were/are =B3not everyone's cup of tea=B2 is that they are
grossly out of tune. I played half a dozen and the scale had no, I repeat,
no resemblance to the shakuhachi scale. It was obvious that the maker had
no idea what a shakuhachi scale is.

   A student of mine brought one to the lesson and after I explained to him
that it would be impossible to play or learn traditional shakuhachi music o=
it he returned it. John Niemi I believe refunded his money, but also sent
along a video complaining about how the Japanese were uptight about
insisting that their shakuhachis have a specific scale!

The flutes did look nice and I believe John is well-meaning, but it=B9s good
to know more about a flute if you are going to make and sell them.

Peter

Peter Ross
http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com
APDO 542-4100
Grecia, Costa Rica
Central America
011 (506) 494-5170

--B_3191650431_3582427

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Shaku] John Niemi Flutes</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">On 2/19/05 12:51 AM, &quot;heirphoto@comcast.net&quot;=
 &lt;heirphoto@comcast.net&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Hello,<BR>
Does anyone here have a shakuhachi made by John Niemi in Japan they would b=
e interested in selling? &nbsp;He made very natural looking shakuhachi, or a=
s he called them, &quot;simple flutes&quot;. I owned 2 many years ago and di=
d enjoy them. It ws his CD that got me started playing and making flutes mys=
elf. I know they were not everyone's cup of tea but I would love to find one=
 again. Maybe a 1.7 to 2.0 or similar?<BR>
Please contact me off list if you have one to sell, heirphoto@comcast.net<B=

Thanks,<BR>
Tony Miller<BR>
Haunting Winds Shakuhachi<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">&gt; List subscription information =
is at: <BR>
&gt; http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html <BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
Hi Tony,<BR>
<BR>
The reason they were/are &#8220;not everyone's cup of tea&#8221; is that th=
ey are grossly out of tune. &nbsp;I played half a dozen and the scale had no=
, I repeat, no resemblance to the shakuhachi scale. &nbsp;&nbsp;It was obvio=
us that the maker had no idea what a shakuhachi scale is. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;A student of mine brought one to the lesson and after I e=
xplained to him that it would be impossible to play or learn traditional sha=
kuhachi music on it he returned it. &nbsp;John Niemi I believe refunded his =
money, but also sent along a video complaining about how the Japanese were u=
ptight about insisting that their shakuhachis have a specific scale! &nbsp;<=

<BR>
The flutes did look nice and I believe John is well-meaning, but it&#8217;s=
 good to know more about a flute if you are going to make and sell them. <BR=

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Peter<BR>