Re: [Shaku] John Niemi Flutes

From: Donald Shepherd (donshep@nauticom.net)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 08:43:42 PST

Peter Ross wrote:

> On 2/19/05 12:51 AM, "heirphoto@comcast.net" <heirphoto@comcast.net>=20
> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> Does anyone here have a shakuhachi made by John Niemi in Japan
> they would be interested in selling? He made very natural looking
> shakuhachi, or as he called them, "simple flutes". I owned 2 many
> years ago and did enjoy them. It ws his CD that got me started
> playing and making flutes myself. I know they were not everyone's
> cup of tea but I would love to find one again. Maybe a 1.7 to 2.0
> or similar?
> Please contact me off list if you have one to sell,
> heirphoto@comcast.net
> Thanks,
> Tony Miller
> Haunting Winds Shakuhachi
>
> > List subscription information is at:
> > http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html
>

> Hi Tony,
>
> The reason they were/are =93not everyone's cup of tea=94 is that they a=
re=20
> grossly out of tune. I played half a dozen and the scale had no, I=20
> repeat, no resemblance to the shakuhachi scale. It was obvious that=20
> the maker had no idea what a shakuhachi scale is.
>
> A student of mine brought one to the lesson and after I explained to=20
> him that it would be impossible to play or learn traditional=20
> shakuhachi music on it he returned it. John Niemi I believe refunded=20
> his money, but also sent along a video complaining about how the=20
> Japanese were uptight about insisting that their shakuhachis have a=20
> specific scale!
>
> The flutes did look nice and I believe John is well-meaning, but it=92s=
=20
> good to know more about a flute if you are going to make and sell them.
>

> Peter
>

> Peter Ross
> http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com
> APDO 542-4100
> Grecia, Costa Rica
> Central America
> 011 (506) 494-5170

The two I received in 1998 from him had good scale intervals. They were=20
nominally 1.8 shaku long, about 21 1/2 inches, but ro was closer to B=20
flat than the proper D. The fatter one is my favorite. Its ro is quite=20
mystical and quiets my mind whenever I play it purposefully. The thinner=20
one has a bit of a preference for the upper octave over the lower=20
octave, though.

I thought the "original" Komuso flutes were solo instruments only and=20
didn't have to be in tune with other instruments. My two Niemi flutes=20
certainly fit that description since each one is only in tune with itself.

Don