[Shaku] Re:the natureofcracks

From: Jeff Cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 19:21:56 PST

Hi David,
Regarding the cracks in your shakuhachi: binding is one method of
preventing an already formed crack from widening and running. You don't
need to cover the entire cracked area with binding. In fact that would
probably be detrimental to the overall sound produced. Most makers/repair
people use crazy glue to seal the crack. One maker I know in N. Am.
recommends Zap (trade mark) as an excellent crazy glue. At any rate, run
some of that along the crack and it should take care of things. Your
binding might go up to about a half inch in width and would probably be
central on a short crack (up to 2 in.), just shy of both ends on a mid size
crack and possibly three on a longer crack. At any rate, think of about 2
in. spacing. Some makers like to inlay crack binding. I suppose there are
good reasons for that however, there is some alteration of sound. Another
method for deeper cracks is a stainless staple. Sometimes a stainless pin is
put at the end of the crack to stop it from running. I would suggest that
you leave the last two methods up to a proffessional.
As for oil, a lot of players here in Japan rely on their own body oil to
keep their instruments in good shape, but if you are a particularly dry
person by nature, then use camillia oil or horse oil. I think both of these
might be difficult to obtain in N. Am. though. In a pinch, probably any
natural oil would work and certainly any oil that works well with wood might
be considered. I would be interested to hear if anyone on the list has any
specific information on this.
good luck,
jeff cairns