Re: [Shaku] The Nature of Cracks

From: Ron Hamady (rhamfilm@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 17:28:45 PST

--0-1372362045-1110245325=:37129

There is some excellent advice at www.navaching.com regarding shakuhachi flutes and oil. Go to the section on shakuhachi and then scroll down to the large menu and look for "oiling bamboo" or something like that. Very informative. Lots of other shakuhachi info as well on this really interesting site. Worth searching around on, in my opinion. Plus, the book "The Structure of Delight" is, well, a delight.
 Best to All, Ron Hamady

fleece beast <fleecebeast@gmail.com> wrote:
I bound my shakuhachi and it's holding up well. I have some questions
concerning cracks and oil:

1. Is the purpose of the bind to keep the opening of the crack from
getting wider? Is there any thing I can do to fill the crack or to
ensure that the crack does not continue down or up the flute? Should I
bind the entire cracked area?

2. I don't have any walnut oil and my flute is dry. Is there any
substitute that I can use?

Thanks,
David

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
--0-1372362045-1110245325=:37129

<DIV>There is some excellent advice at <A href="http://www.navaching.com">www.navaching.com</A> regarding&nbsp;shakuhachi flutes and oil. Go to the section on shakuhachi and then scroll down to the large menu and look for "oiling bamboo" or something like that. Very informative.&nbsp;Lots of other&nbsp;shakuhachi info as well on this really interesting site. Worth searching around on, in my opinion. Plus, the book "The Structure of Delight" is, well, a delight.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;Best to All, Ron Hamady<BR><BR><B><I>fleece beast &lt;fleecebeast@gmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">I bound my shakuhachi and it's holding up well. I have some questions<BR>concerning cracks and oil:<BR><BR>1. Is the purpose of the bind to keep the opening of the crack from<BR>getting wider? Is there any thing I can do to fill the crack or to<BR>ensure that the crack does not continue down or up the flute? Should I<BR>bind the entire cracked area?<BR><BR>2. I don't have any walnut oil and my flute is dry. Is there any<BR>substitute that I can use?<BR><BR><BR>Thanks, <BR>David<BR>_____________________________________________<BR><BR>List subscription information is at:<BR>http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html></BLOCKQUOTE><p>
                <hr size=1>Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday! <br>
http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/">Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web</a>
--0-1372362045-1110245325=:37129--