Re: [Shaku] Rockies camp 6/23-6/27

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 18:56:54 PST

 A few more ideas about binding shakuhachi and repairing cracks.

 Sometimes it is necessary to add super glue to the crack but often not.
The first step is to wrap a damp cloth around the flute the length of the
crack for 24 hours or so. This will swell the bamboo and seal the crack.
Put the bindings on while the flute is wet and the crack is sealed or
swollen shut. When it dries the dark water spots will evaporate. This may
be all that needs to be done. The crack may even be hard to see.

 If a flute is well bound (tight) and a thin crack develops it may be
necessary to add super glue or even bees wax, esp. if the flute is leaking
air and won't play properly. The potential problem with super glue is that
it doesn't seem to allow the flute to contract and might in some cases
actually cause the bamboo to split again. I know of no reason why a
v-shaped groove should be cut into the bamboo along the crack as someone
suggested.

If there is a crack at the very top of the mouthpiece either in front or
back a binding can't be done and glue seems necessary.

 For binding material I use clear fishing line as it stretches when applied
and seems to stay very tight. I use 20 lb. test. or stronger. Some makers
in Japan are also using fishing line now instead of inlaid bindings which
may weaken the bamboo. The advantage of inlaid bindings is that done right
they lay flush with the bamboo and you can comfortably rest your fingers on
top of them when playing.

 I bind all my flutes before they crack. It's not foolproof, but usually
prevents cracks from developing. At most you'll just get a thin crack that
may not need any attention. I've seen unbound expensive shakuhachi split
open to almost half an inch wide with the filler inside totally wrecked.
Also it's a very good idea to keep your flute in an airtight plastic bag
when not playing.

Hope this is helpful. For more info. on traditional inlaid bindings get in
touch with Monty or Tom Deaver or Kinya Sogawa.

Peter

Peter Ross
http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com
APDO 542-4100