Re: [Shaku] Re: Why is it always about the teacher?

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 15:25:35 PST

--- Bruce Jones <bjones@weber.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> because it's the teachers' livelihoods that are at
> stake here.

Hi.

Let us exercise some decorum. The people who want to
go to an event will go and pay. People who want to do
other things will do other things.

I used to express a conceit: amateur musicians do what
they do for love. Professionals are whores who get
paid for providing what ought to be free. In other
words, I was claiming a kind of superiority because I
did not sell my love. I gave it away. How
disrespectful I was of hard work and dedication.

I left my silver flute teacher because I did not want
to imitate her tone.

Choices. She was a good teacher but I thought she was
leading me where I did not want to go. I am not mad
at her. She is not wrong. I just did not want what
she was selling.

The world is large, life is short. Make sure to
choose what you want or you will get stuck with
something you do not want. This feast of life is so
abundant that I have to limit my choices.

I am glad there are expert players who make recordings
and write books. On the other hand, Honkyoku seems to
me to be Zen as public display. I know I am not being
fair. But then, I don't have to be. It's another
choice.

I know that my attempt to cool off the discussion will
only lead to more acrimony. I have been down this
road before. But I do this for me.

Regards,

John Baker

PS I hate Zen. It's too damn Japanese. I don't even
like Tibetan Buddhism. Call me: Jinpa Gyatso