Re: [Shaku] SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL

From: Robert McNeil (robertmcneil@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 05:06:56 PST

--B_3193373216_632203
        charset="US-ASCII"

Thanks Riley,

Very well said. Personally I am very tired of folks whining about how much
teachers cost, instruments cost, workshops cost etc. And I have found a lot
of this thread to be crude and rude. Whatever happened to respecting our
teachers, honoring their attention to the art and the sacrifices they have
had to make. Pulling a festival together is an enormous task. Worrying about
how I can attend the event without paying a fair share seems so selfish.
There has been a lot of attention paid recently to repairing cracked flutes.
Perhaps we should start a thread focusing on repairing cracked players.

Rob McNeil
Philadelphia

On 3/11/05 6:30 AM, "Riley Lee" <riley@rileylee.net> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Just for the record, the first class/business class tickets are for our
> teacher's generation. The cost of these tickets would be mere tokens of my
> gratitude for what they have given me, and I am sure that I speak for Ronnie.
> I couldn't pay back my teachers for what they have given me even if I were
> wealthier than Bill Gates. Really and truly, I could never repay my teachers.
>
> The teachers who will be at the Hawaii Festival next week will earn less than
> $5/hr. This doesn't cover the time/effort/money they spent learning what they
> will teach to others. If one factors all of that in, then one can say that
> they are, in fact, giving away their treasures.
>
> The fee that I will be paid this year for the Rockies Camp might just cover my
> airfare (economy class). It will take me about 16 hours of actual, in-the-air
> flying time to get there, so I suppose I'm getting a good deal on the airfare.
> It has been suggested (not on this list) that I really shouldn't be doing this
> sort of travelling because of the contribution my travels make to global
> warming. This bothers me. I've yet to sort this out in my mind.
>
> Even if I were to travel first/business class and paid a fee on top of that,
> that travel allowance and fee would be paying me to teach concrete skills and
> concrete knowledge. Yes, one doesn't need those skills and that knowledge to
> enjoy blowing into bamboo flutes and to meditate while doing so.
>
> Suffice it to say that I have experienced blowing into bamboo flutes without
> those skills and blowing into them with those skills. I'd choose having the
> skills any day. People who haven't had both experiences can't comment on this
> one way or the other.
>
> The people who attend the Rockies Camp pay for the skills, as they might for
> classes on plumbing, or dancing. The enlightenment that they might achieve
> while mastering those skills is given freely and graciously.
>
> Best regards,
> Riley Lee
>

> Sound of Bamboo
> PO Box 939, Manly NSW 1655, Australia
> tel. +612 9976 6904 fax +612 9976 6905
> mobile +612 414 626 453
> www.rileylee.net

--B_3193373216_632203
        charset="US-ASCII"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Shaku] SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Thank=
s Riley,<BR>
<BR>
Very well said. Personally I am very tired of folks whining about how much =
teachers cost, instruments cost, workshops cost etc. And I have found a lot =
of this thread to be crude and rude. Whatever happened to respecting our tea=
chers, honoring their attention to the art and the sacrifices they have had =
to make. Pulling a festival together is an enormous task. Worrying about how=
 I can attend the event without paying a fair share seems so selfish. There =
has been a lot of attention paid recently to repairing cracked flutes. Perha=
ps we should start a thread focusing on repairing cracked players. <BR>
<BR>
Rob McNeil<BR>
Philadelphia<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYL=
E=3D'font-size:12.0px'>Hello all. <BR>
<BR>
Just for the record, the first class/business class tickets are for our tea=
cher's generation. The cost of these tickets would be mere tokens of my grat=
itude for what they have given me, and I am sure that I speak for Ronnie. I =
couldn't pay back my teachers for what they have given me even if I were wea=
lthier than Bill Gates. Really and truly, I could never repay my teachers. <=

<BR>
The teachers who will be at the Hawaii Festival next week will earn less th=
an $5/hr. This doesn't cover the time/effort/money they spent learning what =
they will teach to others. If one factors all of that in, then one can say t=
hat they are, in fact, giving away their treasures. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
The fee that I will be paid this year for the Rockies Camp might just cover=
 my airfare (economy class). It will take me about 16 hours of actual, in-th=
e-air flying time to get there, so I suppose I'm getting a good deal on the =
airfare. It has been suggested (not on this list) that I really shouldn't be=
 doing this sort of travelling because of the contribution my travels make t=
o global warming. This bothers me. I've yet to sort this out in my mind. <BR=

<BR>
Even if I were to travel first/business class and paid a fee on top of that=
, that travel allowance and fee would be paying me to teach concrete skills =
and concrete knowledge. Yes, one doesn't need those skills and that knowledg=
e to enjoy blowing into bamboo flutes and to meditate while doing so. &nbsp;=
<BR>
<BR>
Suffice it to say that I have experienced blowing into bamboo flutes withou=
t those skills and blowing into them with those skills. I'd choose having th=
e skills any day. People who haven't had both experiences can't comment on t=
his one way or the other. <BR>
<BR>
The people who attend the Rockies Camp pay for the skills, as they might fo=
r classes on plumbing, or dancing. The enlightenment that they might achieve=
 while mastering those skills is given freely and graciously. <BR>
<BR>
Best regards, &nbsp;<BR>
Riley Lee <BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Baskerville, Times New Roman"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:10.0px'><B><I> <BR>
Sound of Bamboo <BR>
PO Box 939, Manly NSW 1655, Australia <BR>
tel. +612 9976 6904 &nbsp;fax +612 9976 6905 <BR>
mobile +612 414 626 453 <BR>
www.rileylee.net</I></B></SPAN></FONT></FONT><I><FONT FACE=3D"Arial Narrow"><=
SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></I><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helve=
tica, Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verda=
na, Helvetica, Arial"><BR>
</FONT></SPAN>
</BODY>
</HTML>