Re: [Shaku] Re: SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL

From: Alcvin Ramos (ramos@dccnet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 06:00:06 PST

--Apple-Mail-2--901579283
        charset=US-ASCII;
        format=flowed

Dear Shakuhachi list,

It seems one's relationship with money is a reflection of one's
relationship with the world. It is merely a form of energy. One has to
be creative in manifesting ways to pay for lessons. No matter how old
or how high level we get, giving energy to the teacher will always
continue. I don't know how exactly the Komuso conducted their lives,
but if the ethic of respecting the teacher existed (and most likely it
was much stronger back then) then the monks also exchanged great
amounts of energy to learn how to play Shakuhachi from their teachers
and continued to respect and honor them. This is how Shakuhachi (and
other arts) have survived till today.

The Shakuhachi is intimately tied with Japanese culture. I think those
who have lived in Japan and/or are commited to a traditional art form
understand that the relationship with a teacher is very important. I
believe this goes for all traditional arts of the world as well. We
respect and honor the teacher by paying him or her as best we can and
treating them with the utmost care. And we would give the world to them
if we could. And and as Riley so aptly put it, "I could never really
repay my teachers".

As one who teaches and plays Shakuhachi for a living, I never forget
that I am also a student for life. I learn from everything and
everyone. I consider the student as a great teacher as learning is what
we are here in the world to do. As one who is also learning the art of
Festival organization, it is a very difficult and immense ordeal (like
Shakuhachi). Therefore I take my hat off to Yokoyama-sensei, Cory
Sperry, Christopher Blasdel, Teruo Furuya, David Wheeler, Riley Lee,
Ronnie Seldin, Watanabe-san for what they have successfully
accomplished.

Paying for lessons (and Festival fees) is just one expression of the
love we have for the Art. It is a way of connecting with people,
culture, and getting things moving and flowing to increase one's
enjoyment of Shakuhachi.

If one can't afford to pay anything, then I guess it is just a lesson
in patience until you can find a way.

Best wishes,

Alcvin
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Director
The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023
cell: 604.788.0060
MAIL: ramos@bamboo-in.com
WEB: www.bamboo-in.com

--Apple-Mail-2--901579283
        charset=US-ASCII

[...]

=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=

Alcvin Takegawa Ramos

Director

The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)

=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=<<+>=

S9-C3

Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0

Canada

tel: 604.883.2023