[Shaku] A personal note

From: Charles Turner (charlesturner9@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 07:33:34 PST

--0-522548486-1110555214=:36726

Dear Riley Lee,

Thanks for your email (below). I did not think it was necessary to defend your monetary arrangements to the people on the shaku list, but now I am glad that you did.

I will be at the Rockies Camp this year. I will respect the knowledge and discipline of my teachers and will be deeply grateful for the instruction I receive. I will thank each of you in person for your devotion to this beautiful art. You are worth more than we can ever pay.

If I were king, the economy would be vastly more favorable to artists!

Charles Turner

Riley Lee <riley@rileylee.net> wrote:
Hello all.

Just for the record, the first class/business class tickets are for our
teacher's generation. The cost of these tickets would be mere tokens of
my gratitude for what they have given me, and I am sure that I speak
for Ronnie. I couldn't pay back my teachers for what they have given me
even if I were wealthier than Bill Gates. Really and truly, I could
never repay my teachers.

The teachers who will be at the Hawaii Festival next week will earn
less than $5/hr. This doesn't cover the time/effort/money they spent
learning what they will teach to others. If one factors all of that in,
then one can say that they are, in fact, giving away their treasures.

The fee that I will be paid this year for the Rockies Camp might just
cover my airfare (economy class). It will take me about 16 hours of
actual, in-the-air flying time to get there, so I suppose I'm getting a
good deal on the airfare. It has been suggested (not on this list) that
I really shouldn't be doing this sort of travelling because of the
contribution my travels make to global warming. This bothers me. I've
yet to sort this out in my mind.

Even if I were to travel first/business class and paid a fee on top of
that, that travel allowance and fee would be paying me to teach
concrete skills and concrete knowledge. Yes, one doesn't need those
skills and that knowledge to enjoy blowing into bamboo flutes and to
meditate while doing so.

Suffice it to say that I have experienced blowing into bamboo flutes
without those skills and blowing into them with those skills. I'd
choose having the skills any day. People who haven't had both
experiences can't comment on this one way or the other.

The people who attend the Rockies Camp pay for the skills, as they
might for classes on plumbing, or dancing. The enlightenment that they
might achieve while mastering those skills is given freely and
graciously.

Best regards,
Riley Lee

Sound of Bamboo
PO Box 939, Manly NSW 1655, Australia
tel. +612 9976 6904 fax +612 9976 6905
mobile +612 414 626 453
www.rileylee.net

--0-522548486-1110555214=:36726

<DIV>Dear Riley Lee,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks for your email (below).&nbsp; I did not think it was necessary to defend your&nbsp;monetary arrangements&nbsp;to the people on the shaku list, but now&nbsp;I am glad that you did.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I will be at the Rockies Camp this year.&nbsp; I will&nbsp;respect the knowledge and discipline of my teachers and will be deeply grateful for the instruction I receive.&nbsp; I will thank each of you in person for your devotion to this beautiful art.&nbsp; You are worth more than we can ever pay.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If I were king, the economy would be vastly more favorable to artists!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Charles Turner</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Riley Lee &lt;riley@rileylee.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Hello all.<BR><BR>Just for the record, the first class/business class tickets are for our <BR>teacher's generation. The cost of these tickets would be mere tokens of <BR>my gratitude for what they have given me, and I am sure that I speak <BR>for Ronnie. I couldn't pay back my teachers for what they have given me <BR>even if I were wealthier than Bill Gates. Really and truly, I could <BR>never repay my teachers.<BR><BR>The teachers who will be at the Hawaii Festival next week will earn <BR>less than $5/hr. This doesn't cover the time/effort/money they spent <BR>learning what they will teach to others. If one factors all of that in, <BR>then one can say that they are, in fact, giving away their treasures.<BR><BR>The fee that I will be paid this year for the Rockies Camp might just <BR>cover my airfare (economy class). It will take me about 16 hours of <BR>actual, in-the-air fl!
 ying time
 to get there, so I suppose I'm getting a <BR>good deal on the airfare. It has been suggested (not on this list) that <BR>I really shouldn't be doing this sort of travelling because of the <BR>contribution my travels make to global warming. This bothers me. I've <BR>yet to sort this out in my mind.<BR><BR>Even if I were to travel first/business class and paid a fee on top of <BR>that, that travel allowance and fee would be paying me to teach <BR>concrete skills and concrete knowledge. Yes, one doesn't need those <BR>skills and that knowledge to enjoy blowing into bamboo flutes and to <BR>meditate while doing so.<BR><BR>Suffice it to say that I have experienced blowing into bamboo flutes <BR>without those skills and blowing into them with those skills. I'd <BR>choose having the skills any day. People who haven't had both <BR>experiences can't comment on this one way or the other.<BR><BR>The people who attend the Rockies Camp pay for the skills, as they <BR>might for classes on
 plumbing, or dancing. The enlightenment that they <BR>might achieve while mastering those skills is given freely and <BR>graciously.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>Riley Lee<BR><BR><BR>Sound of Bamboo<BR>PO Box 939, Manly NSW 1655, Australia<BR>tel. +612 9976 6904 fax +612 9976 6905<BR>mobile +612 414 626 453<BR>www.rileylee.net<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-522548486-1110555214=:36726--