Re: [Shaku] SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL

From: Robert McNeil (robertmcneil@mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 08:53:30 PST

--B_3193386827_1445572
        charset="ISO-8859-1"

=20
Hi Stan,=20

On 3/11/05 9:40 AM, "stan" <b@didgethings.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
ay of
> many potential students.
> Obviously you have never traveled from Asia in coach and then tried to wo=
rk
> the next day.
> =20
> When i first heard shakuhachi i fell in love with the sound. But when i
> looked and saw what a reasonable one cost i soon lost hope of ever playin=
g it.
> I felt the same way about my first wife.
> =20
> It wasn't until i happened upon Perry Yung, making good quality entry lev=
el
> shakuhachi and selling them cheaply on eBay that i actually got a chance =
> play this instrument. And i sincerely thank and praise Perry for making =
the
> effort to make his instruments available to beginners and people who do n=
ot
> have much money. And do sincerely hope that he continues to do so alongs=
ide
> making high end shakuhachi.
> Perry is way cool.
> =20
> Perry has also offered that after a year with this instrument, i can send=
 it
> back to him and he will give me the purchase price off the cost of a bett=
er
> model. This again is a wonderful example of someone making the effort to=
 make
> this instrument more accessable to people. As a beginner i could not jus=
tify
> spending hundreds if not thousands on a flute, but as i learn on a basic =
model
> i can save my pennies and pounds and as my playing improves i am aware th=
at
> the maker of my flute is willing to help me as and when i am able to affo=
rd
> and justify a better flute.
> Not everyone has the same business model. If you buy an expensive flute t=
he
> value does not necessarily go down if you take care of it. It can be a ve=
ry
> good investment.=20
> =20
> What started this debate was my issue that having to pay $60 a night to p=
ark
> my tent on some grass was a rip off. It is a rip off! This has nothing =
to do
> with teachers and students, it has to do with someone milking the cash co=
w.
> As a beginner all i could afford to buy was a flute from Perry for $200, =
yet
> i'm expected to pay $240 to camp for four nights at a shakuhachi festival=
.
> Ya pays ya money and ya makes ya choice. It=B9s about a value proposition. =
If
> you don=B9t feel it=B9s worth it, you don=B9t have to attend. However, lots do =
and
> believe the price is fair.
> =20
> If i commute in with my own food i'm expected to pay $27 a day to use the
> toilet. If people cannot see what is wrong with that then there really i=
sn't
> any hope for the future.
> Actually, I don=B9t think the organizers care where you relieve yourself. B=
ut
> you do have to pay your fair share for organizing the event. I think no h=
ope
> for the world is a stretch, don=B9t you agree?
> =20
> I also help organise festivals in the UK. I do not receive any money for
> doing so, i do it because i love the vibe and enjoy the music. The most
> expensive of the four festivals i'm involved with is =A340 for the whole we=
ekend
> and includes three long evenings of great performances by some of the wor=
ld's
> best didgeridoo players. Camping is free. Bring your own food or buy wh=
at
> you wish to eat and drink there from stalls. A lot of people get togethe=
r on
> the camp site and create great little communities and cook and share with=
 each
> other - a wonderful vibe.
> =20
> Workshops happen throughout each day and are charged according to those w=
ho
> are giving them, and selected and taken by those who wish to.
> =20
> By keeping it like this we are able to take an virtually unheard of instr=
ument
> a few years ago and share as much as possible with as many as possible. =
It is
> only by doing this that the root culture of this instrument is being supp=
orted
> and reinforced and hopefully will be kept alive for future generations.
> It=B9s a different model. Offer it to the shakuhachi tribe. Organize a fest=
ival,
> get some cool teachers to attend, and charge what you want. I=B9d love to c=
ome.
> As Yogi said, (another =B3national treasure=B2 ) =B3If you can=B9t imitate him, d=
on=B9t
> copy him.=B2
> =20
> I therefore cannot see any reason why a shakuhachi festival should be so
> expensive. Or what organisers hope to achieve by making them so expensiv=
e.
> If you want this knowledge and culture to survive for future generations =
then
> make it more accessible.
> I will wait for your invitation.
> =20
> All the best.=20
> And the same to you.
>=20
> Rob McNeil
>> =20

--B_3193386827_1445572
        charset="ISO-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Shaku] SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
Hi Stan, <BR>
<BR>
On 3/11/05 9:40 AM, &quot;stan&quot; &lt;b@didgethings.co.uk&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana=
, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>Crude and rude? &nbsp;=
That's a very sad way to deal with people who have a different opinion to yo=
u. &nbsp;Just because i won't recognise stupid accolades like &quot;living n=
ational treasure&quot;, does not make me crude and rude. &nbsp;If you want t=
o put people on pedestals that is your choice, my choice is that i do not. &=
nbsp;That is not crude or rude.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">No you are right, I was referring to &#8220;New York =
blows,&#8221; it&#8217;s just not an acceptable way to express oneself, in m=
y opinion, and you didn&#8217;t say it either.<BR>
Great players can have accolades can&#8217;t they? It gives all of us somew=
here to go. I play golf and to me, Tiger is a national treasure. I also bicy=
cle, and to me, Lance Armstrong is another national treasure.<BR>
I think some people do things better than others. I respect them for their =
efforts, and try to learn from them. Having a teacher means I can learn fast=
er and do not make as many mistakes. It&#8217;s just a learning model I tend=
 to favor. <BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'><BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>And whatever happened to respectin=
g students?<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">All my teachers respect me.<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>Why's it all about the teacher the=
se days?<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">Well, it&#8217;s a very good way to become classicall=
y trained<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>And if, as Riley says, teachers at=
 festivals are getting less than $5 an hour for the workshops, and if, as so=
me other's claim festival organisers are struggling to pay for the festivals=
, then where's all the money going? &nbsp;I see a big hole in the finances h=
ere. &nbsp;Something is not adding up on my calculator.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">Obviously, you have never run a festival. What&#8217;=
s rude is the accusation and the implication that the organizers are making =
huge profits. You judge without experience. <BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>I'm all for a fair day's pay for a=
 fair day's work. &nbsp;And my main issue throughout has not been about teac=
hers getting paid fairly, but that unecessary and unexplained expenses are b=
eing added as obstacles in the way of many potential students.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">Obviously you have never traveled from Asia in coach =
and then tried to work the next day.<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>When i first heard shakuhachi i fe=
ll in love with the sound. &nbsp;But when i looked and saw what a reasonable=
 one cost i soon lost hope of ever playing it.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">I felt the same way about my first wife.<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>It wasn't until i happened upon Pe=
rry Yung, making good quality entry level shakuhachi and selling them cheapl=
y on eBay that i actually got a chance to play this instrument. &nbsp;And i =
sincerely thank and praise Perry for making the effort to make his instrumen=
ts available to beginners and people who do not have much money. &nbsp;And d=
o sincerely hope that he continues to do so alongside making high end shakuh=
achi.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">Perry is way cool.<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>Perry has also offered that after =
a year with this instrument, i can send it back to him and he will give me t=
he purchase price off the cost of a better model. &nbsp;This again is a wond=
erful example of someone making the effort to make this instrument more acce=
ssable to people. &nbsp;As a beginner i could not justify spending hundreds =
if not thousands on a flute, but as i learn on a basic model i can save my p=
ennies and pounds and as my playing improves i am aware that the maker of my=
 flute is willing to help me as and when i am able to afford and justify a b=
etter flute.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">Not everyone has the same business model. If you buy =
an expensive flute the value does not necessarily go down if you take care o=
f it. It can be a very good investment. <BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>What started this debate was my is=
sue that having to pay $60 a night to park my tent on some grass was a rip o=
ff. &nbsp;It is a rip off! &nbsp;This has nothing to do with teachers and st=
udents, it has to do with someone milking the cash cow. &nbsp;As a beginner =
all i could afford to buy was a flute from Perry for $200, yet i'm expected =
to pay $240 to camp for four nights at a shakuhachi festival.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">Ya pays ya money and ya makes ya choice. It&#8217;s a=
bout a value proposition. If you don&#8217;t feel it&#8217;s worth it, you d=
on&#8217;t have to attend. However, lots do and believe the price is fair. <=

</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>If i commute in with my own food i=
'm expected to pay $27 a day to use the toilet. &nbsp;If people cannot see w=
hat is wrong with that then there really isn't any hope for the future.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">Actually, I don&#8217;t think the organizers care whe=
re you relieve yourself. But you do have to pay your fair share for organizi=
ng the event. I think no hope for the world is a stretch, don&#8217;t you ag=
ree?<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>I also help organise festivals in =
the UK. &nbsp;I do not receive any money for doing so, i do it because i lov=
e the vibe and enjoy the music. &nbsp;The most expensive of the four festiva=
ls i'm involved with is &pound;40 for the whole weekend and includes three l=
ong evenings of great performances by some of the world's best didgeridoo pl=
ayers. &nbsp;Camping is free. &nbsp;Bring your own food or buy what you wish=
 to eat and drink there from stalls. &nbsp;A lot of people get together on t=
he camp site and create great little communities and cook and share with eac=
h other - a wonderful vibe.<BR>
</I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=
=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>Workshops happen throughout each d=
ay and are charged according to those who are giving them, and selected and =
taken by those who wish to.<BR>
</I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=
=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>By keeping it like this we are abl=
e to take an virtually unheard of instrument a few years ago and share as mu=
ch as possible with as many as possible. &nbsp;It is only by doing this that=
 the root culture of this instrument is being supported and reinforced and h=
opefully will be kept alive for future generations.<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#7F007F">It&#8217;s a different model. Offer it to the shakuha=
chi tribe. Organize a festival, get some cool teachers to attend, and charge=
 what you want. I&#8217;d love to come. As Yogi said, (another &#8220;nation=
al treasure&#8221; ) &#8220;If you can&#8217;t imitate him, don&#8217;t copy=
 him.&#8221;<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>I therefore cannot see any reason =
why a shakuhachi festival should be so expensive. &nbsp;Or what organisers h=
ope to achieve by making them so expensive. &nbsp;If you want this knowledge=
 and culture to survive for future generations then make it more accessible.=
 <BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">I will wait for your invitation.<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPA=
N STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:18.0px'><I>All the best. <BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#800080">And the same to you. <BR>
<BR>
Rob McNeil<BR>
</FONT></I></SPAN></FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica,=
 Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'> <BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3193386827_1445572--