Re: [Shaku] SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL

From: Eitan Rosa (eitanshalomi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 09:36:48 PST

--0-169647463-1110562608=:36394

I'm sure you do, Jason. I usually don't post messages to this list but this is just too much, so I feel the need to speak up, even though I really don't have the time right now. I'll try to be brief and elaborate when I return home.

I feel that the main issue here is a gigantic sense of entitlement. The world doesn't revolve or need to give away for free anything to you, me or anybody else. Where there's a will there's a way, and after studying with Ronnie for almost three years while going thru serious financial hardship at the same time, I can't stress enough how grateful I am to Ronnie for going out of his way to make sure I continue my studies. Several times I felt like quitting and Ronnie encouraged me to continue and eventually find a way to work things out.In case you are wondering, this does not mean I'm studying for free, but over the years we have being able to work things out by working at his property (a wonderful piece of woodland and wetland in upstate New York that they are committed to keep as a reserve), making dozens of PVC flutes and several other means, including money!

I'm even more grateful to him because in this way I still pay my dues, it's more dignified than just getting charity, and I even learn additional skills (like shakuhachi repair). To portray such a committed teacher as someone just driven by greed is plain wrong. And by the way, being that shakuhachi teaching is his full time job, how do you think he can make a living in NYC without charging? Keep in mind that he sets a kind of "for life" fee; as long as you continue your studies, your rate will remain the same. I know long time students that pay a fraction of the amount you mentioned.

Finally, that comment about dieting was simply disrespectful and out of line, even though you tried to "sugar coat" it by disguising it as concern, I don't buy your "concert". And in any case, I feel it was insulting and this kind of commnet should have no place in this list, nor for the people that produce them.

I hope that in the future we abstain from such comments, people dealing with weight control or other physical issue have enough to deal with everyday hae people bash them here too.

Hector Rosa

JASON CASTNER <jchanwagenki@yahoo.com> wrote:
I value things more that I dont pay for

--- edBeaty wrote:
> >More thoughts............
> >
> >Re; first calss travel, you want your guests to be
> in good energy, not
> >jet-lagged, tired, disoriented. They have more
> extensive demands to cater to
> >than the 'students'.
>
> And the teachers work remarkably hard at their
> teaching tasks. Please
> note: This is NOT a Zen retreat, but an intensive
> residential
> workshop. If you want a Zen retreat, it ain't there
> (not even a
> pretense of it...)
>

> >You get what you pay for.
> >
> >If you don't pay for it there is a real chance you
> won't value it.
> >
> >These occassions are 'Special', not 'Everyday'.
> >
> >I have a gallery and once thought gallery owners
> did not earn the commission
> >they take on a sale, well I know this is not the
> case. A gallery owner has
> >many overheads, rent or purchasee of the space,
> electricity, rates, wages,
> >advertising, entertainment and years of promoting
> an artist and developing a
> >clientele.
> >Celebrate diversity, think how it might be
> otherwise.
>
> Here, here...
>
> eB
--0-169647463-1110562608=:36394

<DIV>I'm sure you do, Jason. I usually don't post messages to this list but this is just too much, so I feel the need to speak up, even though I really don't have the time right now. I'll try to be brief and elaborate when I return home.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I feel that the main issue here is a gigantic sense of entitlement. The world doesn't revolve or need to give away for free anything to you, me or anybody else. Where there's a will there's a way, and after studying with Ronnie for almost three years while going thru serious financial hardship at the same time, I can't stress enough how grateful I am to Ronnie for going out of his way to make sure I continue my studies. Several times I felt like quitting and Ronnie encouraged me to continue and eventually find a way to work things out.In case you are wondering, this does not mean I'm studying for free, but over the years we have being able to work things out by working at his property (a wonderful piece of woodland and wetland in upstate New York that they are committed to keep as a reserve), making dozens of PVC flutes and several other means, including money!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm even more grateful to him because in this way I still pay my dues, it's more dignified than just getting charity, and I even learn additional skills (like shakuhachi repair). To portray such a committed teacher as someone just driven by greed is plain wrong. And by the way, being that shakuhachi teaching is his full time job, how do you think he can make a living in NYC without charging? Keep in mind that he sets a kind of "for life" fee; as long as you continue your studies, your rate will remain the same. I know long time students that pay a fraction of the amount you mentioned.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Finally,&nbsp;that comment about dieting&nbsp;was&nbsp;simply disrespectful and out of line,&nbsp;even though you tried to "sugar coat" it by disguising it as concern, I don't buy your "concert". And in any case, I feel it was insulting and this&nbsp;kind of commnet should have no place in this list, nor for&nbsp;the people that produce them. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I hope that in the future we abstain from such comments, people dealing with weight control or other physical issue have enough to deal with everyday hae people bash them here too.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hector Rosa</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><B><I>JASON CASTNER &lt;jchanwagenki@yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">I value things more that I dont pay for<BR><BR><BR>--- edBeaty <EDOSANO@YAHOO.COM>wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt;More thoughts............<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;Re; first calss travel, you want your guests to be<BR>&gt; in good energy, not<BR>&gt; &gt;jet-lagged, tired, disoriented. They have more<BR>&gt; extensive demands to cater to<BR>&gt; &gt;than the 'students'.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; And the teachers work remarkably hard at their<BR>&gt; teaching tasks. Please <BR>&gt; note: This is NOT a Zen retreat, but an intensive<BR>&gt; residential <BR>&gt; workshop. If you want a Zen retreat, it ain't there<BR>&gt; (not even a <BR>&gt; pretense of it...)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;You get what you pay for.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;If you don't pay for it there is a real chance you<BR>&gt; won't value it.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;These occassions are 'Special', not 'Everyday'.<BR>&gt; &gt!
 ;<BR>&gt;
 &gt;I have a gallery and once thought gallery owners<BR>&gt; did not earn the commission<BR>&gt; &gt;they take on a sale, well I know this is not the<BR>&gt; case. A gallery owner has<BR>&gt; &gt;many overheads, rent or purchasee of the space,<BR>&gt; electricity, rates, wages,<BR>&gt; &gt;advertising, entertainment and years of promoting<BR>&gt; an artist and developing a<BR>&gt; &gt;clientele.<BR>&gt; &gt;a<BR>&gt; &gt;Celebrate diversity, think how it might be<BR>&gt; otherwise.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Here, here...<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; eB<BR>&gt; _____________________________________________<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; List subscription information is at:<BR>&gt; http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html>&gt; <BR><BR><BR><BR>__________________________________ <BR>Do you Yahoo!? <BR>Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!<BR>http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/ <BR>_____________________________________________<BR><BR>List subscription information is
 at:<BR>http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/listsub.html></BLOCKQUOTE><p>
                <hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>
Yahoo! Small Business - <a href="
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=31637/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/">Try our new resources site!</a>