Re: [Shaku] SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL

From: Frederick Court (fwrcourt@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 09:52:19 PST

This is an interesting conversation. A bit of a
response. About point of view, Zen, culture and
teachers/students. I've been reading this list for
months and haven't said much but enjoy the
interaction.

 There is "THE" room. The room is reality. Everyone is
sitting in the room and have their point of view
(angle). All views are valid, as from each individuals
vantage point, they see the part of the room ,that
they see.One cannot do otherwise unless...
No one individual sees the whole room. To see (and be)
the whole room is to be enlightened. (To lose subject
(self) and room (object).
ie. to lose sense of seperate self

But we do what we do.

 Zen, well, Zen is not really about "point of view".
It is about letting that all go.Whether you got a full
wallet or a less full wallet. Once one sees how
difficult it is to let go of "point of view" it
certainly humbles one and one definetely finds the
need to find a master.
It is a rare being who does not need teachers of
anything. But especially Zen.
Point of view IS ego/self.
And yes, Zen, is very Japanese.3 years in a Tokyo Dojo
taught that.
 Bodhiharma went to China a long time ago and much of
Zen Shu has veered away from original teachings and
practice.
It exists here and there but it is rare.
So if one is interested in Zen then find a teacher.
(Dogen Zenji > drop mind , drop body > has nothing to
do with Shakuhachi as such...it has to do with
Shikantaza > ZAZEN)
You cannot sit Zen and play Shakuhachi at the same
time.
(I am not being facetious)
Shakuhachi Zen is a type of Zen that has little to do
with most Zen. ie. Rinzai Shu, Soto Shu, Obaku Shu.
That is why Shakuhachi it is almost never mentioned.
In fact I would be very interested to know of any
reference to Shakuhachi in the Soto and Rinzai Zen
traditions.
Shakuhachi relationship with Zen was obviously a
development long after these traditions were
established.

That said. Zen practice allows the integration of
any human act. It simply depends how you identify with
the act. I am not acquainted yet with the Zen of
Shakuhachi but certainly will explore it.
Fuke? Meian? Just learning about these terms.

I have no problem and am not creating argument.
(or am I?)
 Just saying that "Zen" is a word that is spoken
quickly but it is better to get down to hard study and
practice if you want to use that word. Find a teacher
in a lineage from Rinzai or Soto Shu or traces of
other schools that exixt (ie. Obaku) (or if you can
for Shakuhachi other schools). Zen was created through
these lineages.
To deny that is ....

Funny thing in saying these words I am not a Zennist
anymore.Was involved in some strong practice for some
years. But ...great respect for purity in those
traditions. Dogen, Hakuin,Ikkyu, wow! To mention a few
great teachers.

One point of view: there is nothing at all wrong with
a teacher charging whatever he/she wishes to.
Another point of view: there is nothing at all wrong
with a teacher charging nothing.

Neither view is wrong. It is simply a different point
of view. A different action based on a different life
circumstance and action and therefore point of view.

There are chaep festivals and expensive festivals.
No point getting irritated about it.

It is good to read the good hearted communications
here.

 There is an understanding of culture that comments on
"water culture" and "fire culture".
Water culture is a type of culture that supports
the renunciate (such as a sadhu in India) or supports
one being able to pick an apple to eat off a tree
somewhere without having to ask who owns it. Water
cultures are dissappearing VERY quickly. Even in India
now step by step quickly and definetely dissappearing
in Japan. Just to mention two places with named
boundaries.

Fire culture is the predominant situation in the world
now. A culture where renunciation has little place
unless it is supported by others who
support it monetarily. Money is necessary for
existence in the modern world. Of course there are
degrees of need and use. However it is obvious that
everything is becoming a commodity very fast. Even
fresh water is becoming more and more an expense. So
yes, one can still have a renunciate disposition but
it is getting harder.

It seems to me that if one cannot afford a particular
event then don't go to it. Find an alternative. Or
request some arrangement. Your energy given doing
something to support the event and then a return of
some reduction (if that is possible, it may not be ).

If one cannot afford anything at all then one should
be thankful for what one receives by grace. I have
when in that situation in life.
The renunciate does not quibble about prices.
The renunciate is thankful for what falls in his
bowl.
I am not a renunciate. But certainly in a process of
understanding what that action is,in the contaxt of a
fire culture that is only going to get stronger.

Money is an energy. It is not evil in and of itself.
It is a tangible symbol of physical energy expended.
It can be created and expended through good acts or
bad acts.

Well this is a benign list of people it seems.
Living in a fire culture with multivarious different
points of view and life circumstances.

I just had a great lesson with a teacher.
Wow! And re the value of students well I feel like
giving good results of practice to him now.
It is a mutual type of sacrifice of energy.

Anyway, just some points I felt like writing.
Because I have been reading these emails.

Just a note Jason. This is a part of my "point of
view". Your relationship with your first teacher
sounds very sweet. Tokyo University (Todai) is the
most prestigious university in Japan.
Your teacher was in a situation to give when he met
you. He would have studied and worked his ass off to
get to that position and he would have been
recompensed mightily for it in monetary terms at
Todai.I assure you. Obviously he had a good heart. He
made his decision in particular situation. He was in a
position to give what he gave. (a $30,000 flute, wow,)
> he must be in a position to offer his energy without
too much other distraction from the sometimes
frustrations of living in the modern fire culture
world)
And you too obviously are in a particular situation. A
situation you have created. And you give what you can
give. I have no problem with your comments. Just felt
to make a comment about the situation.

Anyway, I have been enjoying this discussion.

I can't afford to help out a family member who has a
dental problem at the moment. I got to earn some $$$
so that I have the $$$ for the next tooth that falls
out. That is my responsibility.

Everyone has there situation.
I am a beginner at Shakuhachi and enjoying it.
I am happy to pay my teacher. He has a family to
support and lives in a country with many obligations
and responsibilties. Modern Japan.

Cheers

Frederick