Re: [Shaku] shakuhachi

From: NYOGETSU@NYC.RR.COM
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 08:59:37 PST

Dear Shakuhachi List,

I have been following this thread for some time, and while my husband is
away in Mexico teaching I feel compelled to speak for him.

Ronnie has worked very hard to be able to make his living from shakuhachi.
For that I am very proud of him. He has also inspired many of his students
in the last few years to do the same.

To suggest that he should teach for free is ludicrous. How should we pay
our bills? Should he get another full-time job, one that he doesn't like,
so that he can teach people like you for free?

If you're complaining about his prices, but yet claim to really want to
study with him, then here's my suggestion: barter. Ronnie has students that
can't afford to pay, so they do work exchange with me on our land in upstate
NY. We can also barter for other things. So if you really want to study
with my husband there is a way, but if you want to get it for free or in an
exchange for your pretty smile it ain't gonna happen!

Ronnie already does his own volunteer work at hospitals, for the elderly,
etc.

What people may not know is that during the time of preparation for the NYC
Shakuhachi Festival Ronnie had a severe heart attack, whose effects are
still felt today. In spite of this, he persevered and helped to create a
wonderful festival.

I do not appreciate you talking about my husband's weight. You say you are
not trying to be "mean", but I think that you are. What place does this
type of commentary have on this list? You say you respect these teachers
but yet, couching it in terms of concern, you denigrate them. If you were
really concerned for my husband's health then you would contact him
personally and privately. That is the generous compassionate thing to do.

Yours truly,

Brenda Seldin
"Proud Wife of Shakuhachi Grand Master"