Re: [Shaku] SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL

From: JASON CASTNER (jchanwagenki@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 11:42:39 PST

Everything being said here is cool, but I just wanna
go to a freaking shakuhachi festival and will
volunteer...... you know, give my body up for a set
period of time to do things for other people so I can
be at a shakuhachi festival and meet some of you
goons...... ha ha, just kidding about the goons
parts.....And I still don't see why it must be so
figgin expensive. I'm not sellin my 500 dollar car to
attend....

--- Frederick Court <fwrcourt@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is an interesting conversation. A bit of a
> response. About point of view, Zen, culture and
> teachers/students. I've been reading this list for
> months and haven't said much but enjoy the
> interaction.
>
> There is "THE" room. The room is reality. Everyone
> is
> sitting in the room and have their point of view
> (angle). All views are valid, as from each
> individuals
> vantage point, they see the part of the room ,that
> they see.One cannot do otherwise unless...
> No one individual sees the whole room. To see (and
> be)
> the whole room is to be enlightened. (To lose
> subject
> (self) and room (object).
> ie. to lose sense of seperate self
>
> But we do what we do.
>
> Zen, well, Zen is not really about "point of view".
> It is about letting that all go.Whether you got a
> full
> wallet or a less full wallet. Once one sees how
> difficult it is to let go of "point of view" it
> certainly humbles one and one definetely finds the
> need to find a master.
> It is a rare being who does not need teachers of
> anything. But especially Zen.
> Point of view IS ego/self.
> And yes, Zen, is very Japanese.3 years in a Tokyo
> Dojo
> taught that.
> Bodhiharma went to China a long time ago and much
> of
> Zen Shu has veered away from original teachings and
> practice.
> It exists here and there but it is rare.
> So if one is interested in Zen then find a teacher.
> (Dogen Zenji > drop mind , drop body > has nothing
> do with Shakuhachi as such...it has to do with
> Shikantaza > ZAZEN)
> You cannot sit Zen and play Shakuhachi at the same
> time.
> (I am not being facetious)
> Shakuhachi Zen is a type of Zen that has little to
> do
> with most Zen. ie. Rinzai Shu, Soto Shu, Obaku Shu.
> That is why Shakuhachi it is almost never mentioned.
> In fact I would be very interested to know of any
> reference to Shakuhachi in the Soto and Rinzai Zen
> traditions.
> Shakuhachi relationship with Zen was obviously a
> development long after these traditions were
> established.
>

> That said. Zen practice allows the integration of
> any human act. It simply depends how you identify
> with
> the act. I am not acquainted yet with the Zen of
> Shakuhachi but certainly will explore it.
> Fuke? Meian? Just learning about these terms.
>

> I have no problem and am not creating argument.
> (or am I?)
> Just saying that "Zen" is a word that is spoken
> quickly but it is better to get down to hard study
> and
> practice if you want to use that word. Find a
> [...]
=== message truncated ===